Jo McCarron and Save Cossham campaigners gathered on Wednesday to highlight the ongoing wait for additional urgent care services close to home – it was the 773rd day since the Minor Injuries Unit we were promised as Cossham Hospital was supposed to open, as part of the £19million refurbishment secured by Roger Berry, Labour Councillors and many of the campaigners who have been demanding the MIU.
Following the rally, Jo made a statement at South Gloucestershire Council’s Health Scrutiny Meeting calling for the Clinical Commissioning Group to at least deliver its alternative proposals now, while the Secretary of State reviews their decision not to provide an MIU – the CCG has indicated that they won’t go ahead with their alternative plans, for urgent care services at GP surgeries instead of a Minor Injuries Unit, until the Secretary of State has made his decision.
Jo called for the Secretary of State to intervene “decisively and swiftly”, rather than fobbing residents off by deferring his decision to a lengthy review by the Independent Reconfiguration Panel.
Jo also read a statement from Andy Burnham supporting the Save Cossham Group campaign. Andy came to meet with the CCG and the Save Cossham Group last year and said then there didn’t appear to be reasonable grounds for breaking the promise of a Minor Injuries Unit, and that the CCG would have to convince people circumstances had changed significantly if it was going to change plans that had already been consulted on.
In his statement he acknowledged that “clearly local people haven’t been convinced” and made the point that “in any case it’s uneblieveable that not only is there no Minor Injuries Unit – there is no altearnative in its place to provide additional urgent care services close to home.”
He also said he joined Jo and the Save Cossham Group in calling for Jeremy Hunt to “take the opportunity to intervene decisively and quickly” so people don’t have to wait months longer.